![]() |
| Mighty Joe and me. |
This past Saturday I encountered the biggest horse I have ever seen up close. A 19.1+ hh Percheron aptly named "Mighty Joe." A friend of Laura's invited her over to see him so a few of us set out to see the big draft horse. I love draft horses and my mare is a half draft but on the small side. She stands only about 15 hh. We have some big horses at the barn but none of us were prepared for just how big Joe actually is. When they opened his stall door, I was totally shocked at the size of his head when he stuck it out to greet us. In the barn aisle, he towered above us, but was very sweet and really gentle for such a big guy. His feet are literally the size of dinner plates. Laura and Cece bravely rode him around the paddock and said he was pretty smooth for such a big horse even if they needed a step ladder to get on him. Well you might ask what does one do with a horse his size? Crowd control. He spent three years with the Albany mounted police unit and was heading to Rockland County to be used in their mounted unit. I mentioned to Laura that it would be fun to bring him to the barn and teach him dressage. I could just imagine the surprised looks from other riders if he showed up at a local dressage show. One thing is for sure, wherever Joe goes, he will surely make a big impression.

No comments:
Post a Comment