So Friday I finally had the opportunity to have a lesson. Laura put me on Super K (who has also had the last two weeks off) so when he started pawing in the grooming stall we knew we might have a wild man on our hands. As soon as I settled in the saddle, Kody was off and feeling really good. I had a lot of horse under me but he was very light in my hands. At the trot, he was ready to go. It was so fun to ride him that forward. He's a joy to ride but I had yet to experience him that up. We had only a small snafu when I asked him to canter and he gave me a little buck. My seat held and I just sat back and went with him. We came back to the trot and did a bit more work before Nicholl and I decided to switch. She was riding Doc who I had yet to ride. Doc has a bit of a reputation for being somewhat of a challenge so I wasn't sure how it would go. Nicholl got on Kody and he looked awesome. She rode him beautifully and was doing a canter half pass by the end of the lesson.
As for Doc and I, at first he went around with his head in the air, gaining him the nickname from Laura and Nicholl "The Grey Gazelle." But then Laura told me to keep my hands quiet and he started to drop down and relax. I'm not the bravest rider on a new horse but Laura had me canter him on the longe line first. He was surprisingly smooth if you don't get handy. I then cantered him off the longe line and it took me a couple tries before I could get him around the arena at the canter without breaking. I kept at it and felt more confident. He's not really my ideal type of horse but it was a really good experience for me. He tests you and to be successful with him you have to use your seat, leg and hands independently.
Here is a highlight from my ride on Doc aka "The Grey Gazelle:"
No comments:
Post a Comment